A Comprehensive Guide to Making Authentic Haemul Pajeon
Haemul Pajeon, or the Korean seafood pancake, is a savory delight adored by many across the globe. Unlike any ordinary pancake, Haemul Pajeon combines the earthiness of green onions with the ocean’s freshness. This guide provides a meticulous breakdown to ensure you master this delicacy in your home kitchen.
Ingredients: Haemul Pajeon
Before starting, gather the following ingredients. Freshness is key to achieving that authentic taste.
- Green onions (Scallions) – 200g, cleaned and trimmed
- Seafood mix (squid, shrimp, mussels) – 300g, cleaned and chopped
- Korean pancake mix (buchim-garu) – 200g
- Cold water – 150ml
- Large egg – 1
- Pinch of salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Preparation: Wash the green onions and pat them dry. Slice them into 5-6 cm lengths. Clean the seafood, ensuring there’s no shell or residue. Cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Batter: In a mixing bowl, add the pancake mix. Slowly pour cold water while whisking to avoid lumps. The cold water helps in achieving a crispier texture. Once mixed, beat in an egg and add a pinch of salt.
- Combining: Add the chopped seafood and green onions into the batter. Mix gently to coat everything evenly without breaking the onions.
- Frying: Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add a generous amount of vegetable oil. Once hot, pour the batter mixture into the skillet, spreading evenly.
- Cooking: Fry until the bottom is golden brown and crispy. This might take around 4-5 minutes. Flip the pancake and press down with a spatula to ensure even cooking. Fry for another 4-5 minutes.
- Serving: Once cooked, transfer to a serving plate and cut into desired portions. Serve hot with the dipping sauce.
Using cold water is a Korean secret to achieving a crispy texture. Additionally, don’t overcrowd the pancake with too much seafood; maintaining a balance ensures every bite is flavorful yet not overwhelming.
Recommended Dipping Sauce Recipe
For the dipping sauce, mix 3 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of vinegar, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 tablespoon of sesame oil, a sprinkle of sesame seeds, and some finely chopped green onions. This sauce perfectly complements the pancake’s flavors.
Check out other dishes, too !!